Wednesday 27 January 2010

Good Morning Baltimore!

I guess this post should really summarise everything that this blog is, or intends to be.

I played for a long time (okay, over night, which in my little world is quite a long time) with the idea of calling the blog 'Confessions of a Mouseaholic' because I don't want people to be put off in thinking this is just a Disney fan-blog. It's not. Undoubtedly my interests in Disney are massive, but not in a "oh, Disney films are so pretty, oh, I want to be a Disney princess, oh listen to all the lovely songs" kinda way. Don't get me wrong- The Lion King is my favourite film of all time. But I'm more interested in the industry side of Disney's empire, in the literal magic kingdom surrounding the studios and, I suppose, the man who began it all, Uncle Walt. My MA dissertation is focussed on representations of Tinkerbell across culture, looking in detail at the rise and rise of the fairy as an independant in Disney's corporate marketing model, moving from a beam of light to the queen of her own online gaming world, and because that all probably sounds a little dull, I guess simply this blog is just a place for me to play with writing some film reviews, to collate various Disney/other-related news stories, and generally just get some things down on paper (slash electronic writing device).

My interests are in Disney/Tim Burton/Harry Potter/other mainstream popular culture movies and franchises and auteurs but requirements of my course and my unwitting ability to end up watching odd films mean that I will end up reviewing a lot of other stuff too, at least I intend to.

Down the lefthand side is an amazon-sidebar, where you can see a list of things that I'm currently really enjoying- from films to books to merchandise, things I've owned forever, things I simply want, things I'm just enjoying this week. I'll update it regularly so have a look, hopefully you'll be alerted to something of interest.

So that's me, and this is my blog. Enjoy!
Charley

"BURN IM AT STAKE!" - Peter Pan, Disney, 1953